Benefit Changes

Universal Credit

From October 2015 the UK Government’s roll out of its new benefit, Universal Credit, will be extended to Inverclyde.

This may affect you and you will be asked to apply for Universal Credit (UC), if you are:

  • Aged between 18 and 60
  • Living in Inverclyde
  • Single, and
  • About to make a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance
  • Already claim Jobseekers Allowance and have a change of circumstance

What’s different about Universal Credit

The main differences between Universal Credit and the current welfare system are

  • Most people will apply online and will be expected to manage their claim through an online account
  • You will receive just one monthly payment paid into a bank account, similar to a monthly salary
  • Support with housing costs (formerly Housing Benefit) will be paid directly to you as part of your monthly payment. You will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord. This could be a Housing Association or a Private landlord.

Pensioners will not be affected by this new benefit.


  • Help you manage your monthly payment
  • Help you to prioritise your spending and prepare a monthly budget
  • Help you with the basic computer skills required to manage your online application
  • Help you get a bank account
  • Help is available either individually in your own home or at a venue local to you. Youmay prefer to learn as part of a class which are run throughout Inverclyde. (Contact FUTURE SKILLS for further information on classes that are running in your area)

What do I need to do NOW

If you are a tenant of Cloch Housing Association, Larkfield or Link Housing Association, Oak Tree Housing Association or River Clyde Homes – click on the link below for further advice and support, or complete and submit the Future Skills Contact Form on the right.

Cloch Housing Association LimitedLarkfield HousingOak Tree Housing AssociationRiver Clyde Homes

There are other Services in Inverclyde offering help and Support with benefit changes – click on the ‘OTHER SERVICES’ Tab above for information.